venerdì, maggio 25, 2018

Reading about debt

I often talk to friends and family about books, often in a overenthusiastic manner. I like books and I like, more than everything else, to find useful stuff for real life in books.

If you're now expecting an apology of "Mindfulness for dummies" and the like, I have to upset you; I found out that the treasures are to be found in unexpected places.

As an example, take my last two reads: Debt, the first 5000 years and Buffett, the making of an American capitalist (not finished yet, but I also learned something very useful there, which does not have anything to do with investment, but let me talk about it some other time).

Does it sounds weird to have a leftist anti-capitalist book about debt in the direct neighborhood of the very generous biography of man with US$ 87 billions net worth? Don't worry about my mental stability, I do it by purpose. 

(Which of course is not a sign of mental stability, now that I think about it)

The first book investigates the origin of money in the credit instruments of ancient civilizations. Yes, it looks like it is an established fact that the Babylonian had financial instruments recorded on clay tables in a fictive currency (the bushel) which was only used for recording these financial transactions. And yes, they knew about compound interest. And no, they did not have any money you could exchange on the street. Crazy.

Anyway, there are also pages dedicated to the fact that the precise quantification of debts between neighbors and acquaintances tends automatically to depersonalize these relationships. This being the reason, for instance, for which we do not like to precisely keep track of who owes whom how much money if we go out with our best friend for a beer.

My wife is thinking since some time about turning her year long practice in mindfulness mediation and her teacher experience with it in a full-time activity mixing self-employment and community service. We talked a lot about financial independence and the like in the last weeks. And then BANG! I read this book and I understand why the financial dependence feels so threatening in a relationship. Suddenly, I have a framework on how to talk and think about it.

I think this is the sign of great books: you find insights and inspirations there which do not have anything to do with the apparent topic in the book.

Good reading!

Nessun commento: